Friday, October 3, 2014

A Break From Writing


Often as a break from writing I like to go for a walk. Although sidewalks in the city are not the best place to walk (a topic for another day) I am most distracted and irritated by my encounters with smokers. Granted, most buildings in San Francisco prohibit smoking inside, so smoking on the side walk is the only fallback many have. But isn't the risk of second hand smoke greater on the sidewalk versus inside in a specially constructed smoking room?

Why must I, a pedestrian out for a walk, have to keep my eye peeled for smokers ahead? Why must I hold my breath as I approach them and hold it until I pass them? Why is the onus on the non-smoker when outside?

Lately, I have been thinking that a law should be passed to prohibit smoking on a sidewalk or within 15 feet of a sidewalk.

Do you have an opinion on the matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment